A 16 hour training course must, at a minimum, cover the following topics:
- Firearms Safety - a minimum of 1 hour;
- Basic Principles of Marksmanship - a minimum of 1 hour;
- Care, Cleaning, Loading and Unloading of a Concealable Firearm - a minimum of 1 hour;
- All Applicable State and Federal Laws Relating to the Ownership, Storage, Carry and Transportation of a Firearm (including but not limited to the appropriate and lawful interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm) - a minimum of 2 hours; and
- Weapons Handling - a minimum of 1 range hour.
- All applicants must pass a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
- A minimum of 30 rounds
- 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards, and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the ISP.
Requirements provided by the Illinois State Police